One of our VBS teachers, Laura, adapted a Bible Skills game in LifeWay’s “In the Wild” VBS material this summer to create this fun game – “Snapped by the turtle.”
- 70-75 Jumbo craft sticks (multi-colored if possible)
- Permanent Marker
- 5-10 Small foam pieces – turtles
- Container to put the sticks in
- Using a permanent marker, write the books of the Bible on the Jumbo Craft sticks- 1 book per craft stick.
- On 5-10 of the craft sticks, attach one small foam turtle per craft stick
- Place sticks in container to play
- Have children sit around a table or in a circle on the floor. Place container of sticks in the middle. This game can be played individually or with teams.
- Decide what each child (or team) will be looking for (New Testament books, Old Testament books, books of Law, Minor Prophets, Paul’s Letters, etc.)
- Have child #1 draw out a stick without looking.
- If they pick one that they are looking for, they can keep it.
- If they pick any other book (not what they are looking for), place the stick back in the container.
- Have child #2 draw out a stick without looking. Continue in play until all children have had a turn and then start back with child #1.
- If at any time they pick a turtle, they are “snapped by the turtle” and lose all of the correct ones they are holding.
- The child (or team) with the most sticks at the end of the allotted time wins.